Monday, June 18, 2012

Task 1: Upgrade Advisor 2012



  • Starting today I decided writing a BI software journal for posting interesting things from my job. Everyday we should learn something new, so it would be a "Dashboard Task" for me and maybe a resolved issue or interesting post for you. Here you can find a resume of my work. About almost a year I concentrated myself on Business Intelligence environment working with Microsoft platform.
  • In the last few months I used the new SQL Server in upgrading a BI solution from SQL Server 2005. It was a hard work to convince the client that it's worth and then make the planning and estimations without knowing the risks. Searching for more reasons to SQL 2012 upgrade I discovered a tool named Upgrade Adviser 2012 which  analyzes installed components from earlier versions of SQL Server, and then generates a report that identifies issues to fix either before or after you upgrade. You need to install the kit  and then start analyze your old database from the server.                 
                           


  • There is also a new feature in SQL Server 2012, a new visual timeline used to simplify the database restore process: 


No comments:

Post a Comment